Monday, February 16, 2015

Why I'm blogging

I have just undergone a mpfl reconstruction surgery. Although I assume anyone who found this blog already knew what this surgery is, I'm just going to clarify what I had done.  In my surgery I had my ligament replaced by a donor ligament with 2 screws. This was done to stop my knee from completely dislocating and from subluxations. 
I have been looking everywhere for a blog about a teen athlete recovering from this surgery to see what I'm getting myself into, but I cannot seem to find one anywhere. This of course led me to start this.  I don't think anyone will really ever read this but it's nice to believe that maybe one day this will help someone that goes through a surgery. 
I am 17 years old. I have dislocated my knee 5 times in the last 4 years, however 3 of which have been in the last 6 months.  I have been to numerous pt(physical therapy) sessions throughout these four years but my doctor finally sent me through surgery.  
I had said no to surgery 3 times before but I finally gave in after my knee dislocated after going up a flight of stairs at my high school.
The decision to get surgery was very hard, but once I decided to do it, I felt confident that I would once again be able to do normal activities.
I used to run track, cheer, and dance.  Although I know a lot DONT consider dance or cheer as a sport I'm not here to argue that. I consider myself an athlete and am blogging my recovery hoping to aid another in what their recovery time will be like. 
I would also like to say that I am usually very conservative in my medical choices and I don't recommend going through surgery unless it is your last option.  These things can be tricky and I wouldn't want someone to go through the pain of recovering from a surgery if it was unnecessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment